Welcome to the Counseling Department
Welcome to the Belleville High School Counseling Department! All students have access to counseling services.
The vision of counseling in the district is to produce graduates who are career and college ready, know how to make positive choices and manifest the desire to impact their community and the world in a positive way.
The mission of counselors in the Van Buren Public School District is to provide academic, social, and emotional support to students as they grow and develop into lifelong learners.
A student’s right to privacy and confidentiality is the basis for an effective counseling relationship. Confidentiality ensures that school counselors won’t share students’ disclosures with others except when the student authorizes it or when there is a clear and present danger to the student and/or to other persons.
As counseling with a student progresses, it may become beneficial or necessary for the school counselor to consult and collaborate with parents and or other school staff. The parent, student, or the professional school counselor may initiate the collaboration process. It’s the school counselor’s responsibility to reach an agreement with the student about what information to share with parents or other school staff, unless, of course, there is a clear and imminent danger to the student or others.
Taking the Advanced Placement exams is an important part of all AP courses. Belleville High School desires that all students take AP exams for the AP classes that they have taken. Scoring well on an AP exam can often earn students college credit for their high school class, saving a significant amount on tuition.
For the 2019 AP exams, students at Belleville High School will be registering online. This registration will take a few minutes and can be completed from any computer with internet access.
This year each AP exam costs $98.00. Belleville High School desires that every student be able to take their AP exams. Students requiring financial assistance should contact Mr Jake Sweets, firstname.lastname@example.org, in the Counseling Office to learn more.
Online Exam registration will begin on Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 7:00 AM and end on Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 11:00 PM. In order to register, students should click on the link provide on the school website or visit www.TotalRegistration.net/AP/230265 to register .To complete registration, students must answer all of the required questions. Registration is not complete until students have printed the pdf of the confirmation page that is provided at the end. We know that parents may desire to register their students for exams. We strongly recommend that parents and students are both present while registering to ensure that the correct exams are ordered.
Belleville High School is excited to offer families the convenience of paying exam fees online at the time of registration. Please be sure to have a credit card or debit card available before beginning registration. Paying online is a great way to make sure that payment has been made while avoiding mailing payment.
Here are the important dates for the registration process:
- Mon, Feb 4, 2019 at 7:00 AM - Registration Begins
- Fri, Mar 1, 2019 at 11:00 PM - Registration Ends
- Mon, Mar 4, 2019 at 11:00 PM - Registrations that have not been paid for will be cancelled and exams will not be ordered.
- Mon, Mar 4, 2019 - Last day to cancel an exam and receive a full refund.
- Tue, Apr 30, 2019 - Last day to cancel an exam with a cancellation fee of $16.00.
Please contact Mr Jake Sweets, email@example.com , if you would like to register for an exam not listed or have any questions.
How do I see my counselor?
If you need to see your counselor, all you have to do is get a pass from your teacher during a time that is convenient for both you and the teacher. Additionally, counselors are available in the hallways during passing time and in the Commons at lunch.
Quick questions can be answered via email or by phone. The number to the Main Office is 734-697-9133, and you can ask for your counselor. Individual email addresses are listed below:
Who are the Counselors?
- Hannah Sabol, Counselor for the last names A-D: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rebecca Chinn, Counselor for the last names E-J: email@example.com
- Kelli Robinson-Quick, Counselor for the last names K-Q: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Benson Kellum, Counselor for the last names R-Z: email@example.com
- Jake Sweets, Counselor for the Belleville New Tech: firstname.lastname@example.org
What is the fax number?
Our fax number is (734) 697-6523.
A Note to Parents
The counselors would like to remind parents and students that we are here to advocate for the students and their needs. We would like to encourage parents to:
- Contact the individual teachers first with concerns about assignments, grades or student progress.
- Ask teachers for specific feedback and to offer specific recommendations/suggestions for improving academic achievement in their classes.
- Contact counselors if grade concerns are not resolved.
- Seek additional help from teachers before or after school…consult teachers to make appointments
- Contact counselors if/when questions arise.
How to Best Help Your Student Succeed in High School:
Suggestions for Supporting Academic Success
How to Ask for Help:
Many students struggle but don't know exactly where to start asking. Telling a teacher "I don't get it," usually does not result in any concrete solution, and can lead t miscommunication between the teacher and the student. Click here for an article with some great advice!
Local Tutoring Resources:
Career and College Planning Resources
Comprehensive Website to Explore Interests, Careers, Colleges, and Career Schools
Generic Username: Belleville
Generic Password: Tigers
Contact your student's counselor for a copy of the student's individualized username and password.
Use This to Determine if your Grades/SAT scores will get you in!https://bigfuture.collegeboard.org/college-search?navid=gh-cs
New to the College Process? Increase your College Knowledge!http://knowhow2go.acenet.edu/
Welcome to Belleville High School! The counseling office will be staffed through Wednesday, June 29 for enrollment. The office will reopen for enrollment on Thursday, August 10. The necessary forms are below. The required identification and other important information can be found on the enrollment form. Have a great summer!
A Toolkit for Helping to Understand Financial Aid http://www.financialaidtoolkit.ed.gov/tk/
Financial aid, scholarships, internships and more.
Free Application for Federal Student Aid
Federal Student Aid PIN Site
"This Web site is your source of information for the Federal Student Aid PIN. Your PIN can be used each year to electronically apply for federal student aid and to access your Federal Student Aid records online."
Testing Out Information
If a student would like to attempt to test out of a course at Belleville High School, the following conditions apply:
- There are two test out dates each year. The dates for 2018/2019 are August 27, 2018 (9:00 a.m.) and January 16, 2019 (2nd period)
- Each department may or may not provide study materials for a subject. Please check http://www.michigan.gov/mde/0,4615,7-140-28753_64839_65510---,00.html to make yourself aware of the curriculum and standards for each course.
- Sign up to test out with your counselor a minimum of two weeks prior to the test date.
- A student must receive a score of 78% or better to receive credit for the course.
- A student only receives ONE try for each subject.