McBride Update 3/23/2020
Dear McBride Community,
We are still here for you!
These are extremely trying times for all of our McBride Family, including students, parents, staff and others. The well-being (physically, mentally, financially and educationally) is being challenged and I want to make sure you know, even though we are not meeting physically each day in school, that we are here if you need us for anything. Please do not hesitate to reach out to us through email with any questions, concerns or suggestions you may have.
Some good news in all of this:
McBride is having a virtual “Spirit Week” beginning today, Monday, March 23. Please see Mrs. Radtka’s email for details.
Before this situation, we were in the final stages of hiring both an 8th Grade English Teacher and adding to our mental health team with an additional counselor. After an extensive process, we are proud to introduce; Ms. Alyssa Slayton, ELA Teacher, and Ms. Jawana Patillo-Edwards, School Counselor – look for their bio-information on our McBride Web-site this week!
We do not have many other answers at this time, but here are a couple of updates;
1. We still do not know about “make-up days” yet. We hope to get more information on that this week.
2. The status of our state assessments is uncertain, but we believe we are moving toward suspending / excusing them this school year. As you may have heard or read, the federal government is granting a waiver on all state assessments. The state has to still make a request to waive the assessments; which at this point is a formality, but still not official.
3. Buildings are being deep cleaned.
4. The plan is still to return to school April 13. The “normal” Spring Break will be the week of April 6-13.
5. Teachers are available online and are glad to answer any questions or suggestions you may have. They are also responsive through Google Classroom, Class Dojo, or other virtual platforms for any and all questions, or you can email me directly at Jleroy@vanburenschools.net.
We will continue to work with our students and families through this crisis. We will also continue to share information frequently and as it becomes available. As always, feel free to contact me or your teachers with comments or questions you may have and we will be sure to keep everyone updated as info becomes available.
Thank you and stay safe,