Student Enrollment and Registration (K-12 in district)

School of Choice non-residents enrollment, scroll down to the bottom of this page for more information.

Thank you for your interest in Van Buren Public Schools, we are currently experiencing high volume of applications, please allow time for enrollment personnel to process your application.

The following information is required to enroll your student:

Pre-Enrollment Application Link (K-12 in District)

Van Buren Public Schools Enrollment is based on residency. If you are unsure of which school your child will attend, check out our Locate My School to see our school boundaries and find your child’s elementary school, or contact the Administration Building at (734) 697-9123 ext. 1014

In order for your enrollment packet to be reviewed, specific documents must be uploaded. 

Label your attachments: Birth Certificate/Parent ID/Immunization/Proof of Residency etc.

Documents scan and upload helpful tips!

All documents required to enroll, can be uploaded on the pre-enrollment form online.  Enrollment is not complete until all paperwork is received.

Student Documents:

  • Birth Certificate

  • Up-to-date Immunization Record Health Appraisal Form

  • Individual Education Plan (IEP), if special services are required

  • If possible last report card from the previous school when enrolling your student in elementary or middle school. For high school students, an unofficial transcript is required in compliance with Michigan State Law.

Proof of Residency

Three (3) pieces of identification showing proof of residency are required. The student must be living with a parent, or court guardianship papers must be presented. Foster Parents must provide Foster Care License Number. Proof of residency may include any of the following:

  • Driver's License/MI State ID

  • Voter Registration Card

  • Utility Bill

  • Purchase, Lease or Rental Agreement

  • Bank Deposit Slip

  • Canceled Check with your address

  • Other mail sent to your residence (not junk mail)

Incoming Kindergartners must be five-years-old on or before September 1, 2024.

Parents need to fill out a Kindergarten Waiver (see link below) if their child will turn 5 between September 2 and December 1.

Exception: According to Michigan Law, a child may be enrolled in kindergarten if he/she is not five years of age on September 1, 2024, but will be five years of age not later than December 1, 2024, and parent or legal guardian notifies the school district in writing (Kindergarten Waiver Form) that he or she intends to enroll the child in kindergarten.

Preschool enrollment

Please note, pre-enrollment is not required if applying for: Great Start Readiness Program (GSRP), Tuition Childcare, Early Childhood Programs (ECP), or ASD Preschool. Please email for more information.

School of Choice Application Fall 2024-2025

2024-2025 Fall Semester Enrollment will be available May 21 until September 27, 2024.

School of Choice families do not have the ability to select a particular school. School of Choice families are choosing the district and will be placed at a school with available space. Filling out and submitting the application is not a guarantee of enrollment.

  1. Parent/Guardian completes the school of choice application form (attach birth certificate).

  2. Application and discipline record will be reviewed. Parent/Guardian will be notified via email and/or telephone regarding the district's decision.

  3. Approved application may proceed to the next step of completing the Pre-Enrollment Application.

School of choice student transportation depends on seating availability

Parents of School of Choice students are required to provide their own transportation for their students. Due to high ridership on our buses, we have limited availability on our buses for School of Choice students. We will contact parents who have completed a Transportation Request Form if we have an available seat for your student. It must be understood that transportation may be provided if the student is dropped off and picked up at a designated Van Buren bus stop.  Students must be pre-registered for this service and may take up to 1 month to determine seating space availability.